Filing an EEOC Complaint

Related Ads

Individuals that have suffered discriminatory treatment in an employment setting due to age may decide to initiate the filing of a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to enforce their civil rights by initiating an EEOC investigation of the employer’s disparate actions.

EEOC Discrimination Complaint Form

How can employees access an EEOC complaint form?  Charges may be filed in person, by mail or by telephone by contacting the nearest EEOC office.  There are strict time frames concerning employment discrimination filings.  Title VII of the Civil Rights Act charges must be filed within 180 days of the alleged discriminatory actions.  In some States the charge must be made first to a local agency or State authority.  In some States an individual may file a charge within three hundred days of the alleged discriminatory act, or thirty days after receiving notice that the State of local agency has terminated its processing of the charge, whichever is earlier.  If the charges are filed outside the allowed remedy dates it may be possible the no remedy will be allowed.

Filing a Complaint with the EEOC

What is the EEOC complaint process?  After an individual files a charge of discrimination against an employer the EEOC is required to conduct a full investigation of the complaint, unless the complaint is later dismissed.  Once the investigation is completed, the complainant may request a hearing before an EEOC administrative judge or alternatively, the complainant may request an immediate final ruling in his favor from the EEOC.

Appealing an EEOC Ruling

What is the EEOC appeal process?  An unsatisfied complainant may appeal a decision to the EEOC of a State or local agency's final administrative decision within 30 days of receipt of the order. The agency may appeal a decision by an EEOC administrative judge within 40 days of receiving the administrative judge's decision.

Filing EEOC Complaint Legal Help

If you believe that you or a member of your family has suffered any type of employment discrimination due, to age it may be important to discuss the circumstances with an experienced civil rights or employment attorney.